Sunday, July 10

day 8: books

Well, I guess I fell a little behind on the blogging every day, but I still feel like I'm doing decently well. All I've been doing the past couple of days is reading, hanging out with friends and seeing movies. Saw the latest Transformers movie (and I haven't even seen the first two) and thought it was really entertaining. Not mind-numbingly boring or a real brain teaser, but just good old blockbuster Hollywood fun. And I did not see it in 3D. I'm glad of that. I would have had a headache after two and a half hours of that.


Ender's Game via Tor
Speaker for the Dead via MacMillan

"In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him." 
As for what I've been reading: Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead. I had been told by lots of my friends that Ender's Game was one of their favorite books, ever, but never picked it up because I didn't really identify with science fiction. Fantasy was my thing. I bought it about a month ago because it was only $5 on Kindle. And then I fell in love with Ender's Game from the very first sentence.

Now I'm within 10 pages of finishing Speaker. Gah. So good. A little verbose, but so beautiful.

When I write about books, I feel a bit weird about it. I always feel like I hype stuff up or I don't get across the greatness or whatever of what I'm trying to describe. So I'm really not going to try. But I'll tell you that Ender's Game is definitely one of my most beloved books now, and it's beautiful and tragic story will never leave me.
"Welcome to the human race. Nobody controls his own life, Ender. The best you can do is choose to fill the roles given you by good people, by people who love you."

What books have you read that left an indelible mark?

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog! I'll follow you since right now!
    You have really nice photos here. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...